Leadership Faculty at ILA in Brussels
The 19th Annual Global Conference of the International Leadership Association (ILA) was held in Brussels, Belgium, from Oct. 12 to 15, 2017. Several Royal Roads core faculty and alumni attended, including: Eva Malisius, Wendy Rowe, Wanda Krause, Catherine Etmanski, Kathy Bishop, Niels Agger-Gupta, Cheryl Heykoop, Stephanie Mahovlic, Sandra Dennis and Joan Owen.
The Royal Roads contingent addressed the conference theme of “Leadership in Turbulent Times” from multiple perspectives, including:
- A pre-conference workshop on “Leadership during wild times: Exploring nature, wicked challenges, and wilderness within” (Cheryl Heykoop with Doug Paxton of St. Mary's College of California and Cheryl Getz of the University of San Diego);
- Two round-table conversations: "Ties that bind: Leadership of sustained protest movements" (Niels Agger-Gupta with Dorothy Agger-Gupta of Fielding Graduate University), and "Obstacles to thriving as a public sector leader" (Wendy Rowe);
- A panel presentation on “Leadership education study abroad programs: Transformative or trying?” (Wendy Rowe);
- A presentation on “Leading Diversity at the Global Workplace” (Eva Malisius and Stephanie Mahovlic);
- A presentation on “The breakroom and the corner office: We all drink coffee” (Wendy Rowe);
- A presentation and poster session for the Emerging Scholars Research Consortium on “Enhancing Leadership in the Ecuadorian Military: Conversations on Leadership with Forces Personnel” (Sandra Dennis);
- An experiential, arts-based workshop on “Down the Rabbit Hole: Turning to Creative Leadership in Turbulent Times” (Kathy Bishop, Cheryl Heykoop and Catherine Etmanski);
- An author panel on a special issue of New Directions in Adult and Continuing Education on the topic of “Adult Learning Through Collaborative Leadership” (Catherine Etmanski and Kathy Bishop with Doug Paxton & Ken Otter of St. Mary's College of California and Éliane Ubalijoro of CLEAR International Development); and
- A meet the author book session on “Food Leadership” (Catherine Etmanski.)
These presentations at ILA served to showcase Royal Roads University as a thriving hub of leadership excellence.